Jacob Streiter is a VP on the Rosen Group.
It’s the query on each PR skilled’s thoughts: How do you profit from ChatGPT?
Effectively, right here’s an excellent begin: Get comfy without having to make use of it in any respect. Like, actually comfy.
At any time when a brand new know-how or innovation emerges and carries with it such nice pleasure and risk, right here is, because of human nature, what inevitably occurs:
- Many individuals, particularly these youthful and extra technologically inclined, overuse and misuse it.
- Others, typically those that are extra senior, postpone utilizing it and thereby miss out on its advantages.
- Daring claims are made about its anticipated long-term impression, each utopian and dystopian.
From my standpoint, I see quite a few causes to be enthusiastic about ChatGPT, whereas I additionally see legitimate issues — together with these about its overuse.
The dangers of overuse
Here’s what occurs in case you lean too closely on ChatGPT, particularly in case you’re a PR newbie:
- Your writing will lack nuance, fashion, character and an total “human contact” — elements that are invaluable in grabbing the eye of media. The end result: Your pitches will fall flat!
- Precedence messaging factors offered by your shopper will, a method or one other, find yourself getting fumbled.
- Accomplished assignments — crammed with concepts, data and language generated by ChatGPT — may appear OK at a look however, upon a more in-depth assessment by your managers, will miss the mark.
- Finally, your writing, enhancing, ideating and broader ability set will turn out to be stunted and stay underdeveloped.
So, how does a PR skilled maximize ChatGPT’s advantages whereas minimizing its dangers? The brief reply: By utilizing it as a instrument that enhances — fairly than replaces — your abilities and information.
ChatGPT will get the ball rolling. However is it even the proper of ball?
In my expertise thus far, I’ve discovered that ChatGPT is greatest used as a instrument for preliminary concept technology (e.g. Give me weblog put up concepts overlaying Millennials and private finance); fast analysis (e.g. Give me the highest 10 private finance media shops); and synthesis of relevant-but-complex matters (e.g. Merely and concisely, how does the inventory market work?).
In every case, ChatGPT helps get the ball rolling — however it’s in the end your accountability to convey it to the best vacation spot. It’s additionally as much as you to determine if it’s even the best sort of ball you want within the first place.
The higher you re with out ChatGPT, the higher you’ll be with it
The stronger your PR ability set and information base, the higher positioned you’ll be to get essentially the most out of ChatGPT. Right here’s why:
- A extra seasoned eye to nuance lets you extra successfully vet, fine-tune and customise.
- You possibly can delegate your mind energy to ChatGPT with a view to rapidly retrieve data that you just already know however don’t wish to spend your scarce psychological bandwidth on (e.g. a listing of media shops). And your information base equips you to make use of that retrieved data most correctly.
- Understanding what you particularly want, together with what a high-quality finish product appears like, empowers you to make use of ChatGPT with greater ranges of precision, discretion and effectiveness.
- You’re higher capable of establish if, in a given activity, ChatGPT’s recommendations aren’t a match to your wants. And since you’ve got your broader ability set and information base to fall again on, you don’t really feel pressured to maintain utilizing it in these instances when it’s turning out to be lower than the duty. In different phrases: you’ll be able to set excessive requirements for ChatGPT as a result of you’ve got walk-away worth!
Now, a state of affairs: Let’s say you fall into the “extra skilled however much less technologically inclined” class. And when you haven’t but tried ChatGPT, you’ve determined it’s lastly that point. How must you go about it?
Right here’s one strategy: Strive asking a junior colleague for assist. Possibly they’ll share with you their technical know-how and suggestions, when you impart a few of your information and knowledge.
In spite of everything, all of us get higher by studying from one another, proper?