The Bento Field pattern has been round for a whereas, but it surely’s solely within the final yr or two that it’s gained momentum, as designers have realized how pleasant and user-friendly it will possibly be.
As with a lot of design tendencies, the origin is disputed. Some say Bento UI took off due to Apple, which has adopted it for its UI components. Different individuals level out that Microsoft’s Metro UI was successfully Bento UI. Wherever it got here from, there’s little question it’s more and more in style, and the extra it’s used, the extra it’s validated as a UI fashion.
What’s Bento UI?
Bento UI would possibly sound difficult, but it surely’s really a very easy manner of structuring a design. It’s easy and environment friendly; consequently, it’s in style with each designers and customers.
Bento UI is rooted in visible hierarchy and group, which have been the cornerstones of UI design because the starting. The place Bento UI distinguishes itself is that it really works very well for small, rectangular layouts. In different phrases, Bento UI works brilliantly on cellular gadgets, and as a consequence, it’s a reward to designers creating responsive layouts.
What are the Key Advantages of Bento UI Design?
The Bento UI design pattern delivers a number of key advantages for designers, builders, and customers.
- Simplicity: Bento UI makes it simple to create responsive layouts for a vary of gadgets.
- Construction: It’s simple to prepare content material in a visually interesting hierarchy utilizing Bento UI.
- Fashionable: Bento Field-style design seems to be trendy, giving your merchandise a trendy edge.
- Acquainted: With the adoption of Bento UI by business influencers like Apple and Microsoft, customers are accustomed to how Bento organizes content material.
Is Bento Simply One other Design Development?
As with every visible pattern, what seems to be trendy and progressive immediately, should ultimately look drained and dated — that’s the nature of design tendencies. Certainly, many design specialists argue that the Bento UI pattern is already at peak recognition, and the one manner is down.
Nonetheless, we should always keep in mind that a lot of those self same design specialists referred to as responsive design a pattern, and it’s now thought-about finest follow for net design.
Apple evolves its UI design very slowly. Bento UI is a core element of macOS, iOS, and the brand new visionOS, so we are able to count on it to be round and influencing design for a very long time to come.
What’s extra, core applied sciences on the net have advanced to make Bento UI simpler to provide. The place as soon as builders struggled to code the a lot easier masonry-style UI layouts, CSS Grid implies that Bento-style UIs can now be coded as merely as every other grid.
Learn how to Get Began With Bento UI Design
Bento works finest once you break up your content material into bite-sized chunks. When you’ve accomplished that, it’s simple to get began:
- Begin with a grid — Bento UI works on a strict grid system. Every cell within the grid needs to be a sq..
- Allocate content material to cells — Insert your content material in several cells, however keep in mind: not all of the cells must be stuffed; you’ll be able to create rectangles or cloud-shaped designs by selectively filling squares.
- Create a hierarchy — Completely different sized squares create emphasis (greater is extra necessary), however additionally they add much-needed visible curiosity.
- Spherical your corners — Rounded corners in your cells assist distinguish them from each other, and it’s a key a part of the Bento Field aesthetic.
- Group associated content material — Prepare your cells in order that associated content material is in shut proximity.
- Have enjoyable! — Bento UI is a enjoyable, trendy structure. Add brilliant colours, constructive fonts, and dynamic pictures to your cells.
Is Bento UI Proper For Your Venture?
Bento UI is extra than simply one other design pattern; it’s an evolution of design. It’s an efficient solution to create a visually interesting and simple-to-use UX. Bento UI is not any extra complicated to develop than every other structure due to CSS Grid, and it’s significantly appropriate when designing for cellular.
Bento isn’t good for each mission. It really works finest with easy hierarchies, so in case your mission doesn’t have a easy hierarchy, it might not be appropriate for you — but when your mission doesn’t have a easy hierarchy, maybe you should handle that.
Bento UI seems to be and feels trendy, and we are able to count on it to stay in style for a while. With new applied sciences like Imaginative and prescient Professional on the horizon, it might even evolve into one thing we are able to’t but predict.
Louise is a workers author for WebdesignerDepot. She lives in Colorado, is a mother to 2 canine, and when she’s not writing she likes mountaineering and volunteering.